Environment Society of Oman
The Environment Society of Oman (ESO) was founded in 2004 by Omanis representing different regions and many different professional backgrounds. The Society is the first of its kind in Oman, and hopes to have a positive influence on Oman’s future development by promoting conservation and environmental awareness in all sectors of society.
ESO is a member of the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and represents environmental organisations of west Asia at the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). ESO has also recently signed a co-operative agreement with the Emirates Environment Group (EEG).
The Environment Society of Oman (ESO) is a non-governmental, not-for-profit organisation which aims to help conserve Oman's natural heritage and raise awareness about environmental issues. Our aims include:
- To publish educational and awareness-raising materials for the general public
- To organize participatory events that allow the public to become actively involved in conservation activities
- To provide a forum for the exchange of ideas and information related to the environment in Oman
- To foster cooperation between scientific, educational, public and government organisations to promote the conservation of both marine and terrestrial habitats in Oman
- To actively research the many aspects of Oman's environment to help provide the necessary information for conservation and education initiatives
Projects and activities
Thus far, through the kind contribution of ESO’s members, corporate sponsors and the general public, the Society has been able to work on several projects, namely:
Marine Projects include:
- Whale and Dolphin Research Project
- Marine Turtles Conservation and Satellite Tagging Project
- Daymaniyat Islands Nature Reserve Education and Research Project
- Mooring Buoys Project to protect the coral reefs in Oman
Terrestrial Projects include:
- Project Wa'al
- Project Shajar
- Frankincense Trees Conservation Project
Education and Awareness projects include:
- Awareness Raising on Paper and Plastic Recycling
- Anti Plastic Bag Campaign
- Development of an Environmental Studies subject in school curriculums in cooperation with the Ministry of Education
- Muscat's Beaches Cleanup Campaign
- Raising awareness about climate change and global warming
- Women’s Environmental Education and Empowerment Project
Membership is open to anyone above the age of 18, who has an interest in conserving the environment and ensuring that Oman's natural heritage remains intact for present and future generations to enjoy. Since the establishment of ESO many, both Omani and non-Omani, have joined ESO. Several are students from colleges and universities, and there are about 25 companies as corporate members. ESO encourages active involvement from members of all ages and all walks of life. Activities and benefits for members include:
- Participating in hands-on projects and awareness-raising campaigns to reduce litter, recycle waste, and help keep our environment clean.
- Giving presentations to schools and community groups on environmental issues, including wildlife conservation and research.
- Having access to debate forum’s on ESO’s website, news updates regarding the society's activities, tips for conserving the environment, informative articles, and links to other websites related to conservation and environmental issues.
- Supporting realistic and worthwhile environmental projects in Oman run by ESO, with all membership funds going directly to identified causes.
How to become a member of ESO
Please visit our website http://www.eso.org.om/ and fill out the online membership form. Membership fees can be paid via the online donations website. Please ensure to include your name when paying fees.
Environment Society of Oman
P.O. Box: 3955
P.C: 112 Ruwi